Mercy Housing and Human Development founded in 1997, is a nonprofit organization based in Gulfport Mississippi. Our mission is to develop strategies to provide housing, community and economic development in the coastal counties of Mississippi. Through research/analysis, advocacy, direct services and community organizing, MHHD responds to community needs.
Homeownership preparation, financial literacy and counseling, foreclosure prevention and a variety of educational programs are offered to low wealth and minority South Mississippians. MHHD also offers free tax preparation, post purchase support, matched savings programs, and has a certified Affordable Care Act Navigator on staff.
MHHD has historically advocated for vulnerable groups. Following the BP oil spill, we provided language assistance through interpretation and translation of materials and case management for the Vietnamese American population to receive emergency assistance. Efforts have also been focused on addressing the inequitable policies in the post disaster response and recovery.
At Mercy Housing and Human Development we believe that all people have basic rights to dignity and compassion.
Further, we believe that people, as social beings, achieve their individual rights and dignity in relationship to others in the larger community.
- Service: We respond with compassion to the needs of others.
- Excellence: We strive to attain high standards of performance and proficiency.
- Justice: We honor each person's rights and responsibilities in light of the common good.
- Stewardship: We wisely use our talents and resources.
- Dignity: We accept all person without regard to race, color, crred, age, sex, orientation, national origin, or disability.